Confederate State Capitol Building
Historic Washington State Park
Washington, Hempstead County, Arkansas
The Confederate State Capitol building in Washington, Arkansas was the capital of the Confederate state government of Arkansas, during 1863 - 1865, after Little Rock, Arkansas fell to Union forces in the American Civil War.
The building was erected in 1836, and was Hempstead County's second courthouse, replacing an 1824 log structure. The building served as the county court until 1874, when a new brick building was constructed. After the fall of Little Rock to Union Army forces in September 1863, during the American Civil War, Governor Harris Flanagin ordered the seat of government relocated to Washington. The Confederate state government would remain in this building until the end of the war in 1865.
Confederate State Capitol Building Categories
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, and, with other sites, was designated part of the Camden Expedition Sites National Historic Landmark District in 1994.
Other Confederate State Capitol Building Resources