Landmark: United States Logo

The Alamo

San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas

Alamo TX
Photo: License: 1
The full name of the site was San Antonio de Valero Mission. It was build by the Spanish in the 1700's for the education and conversion of local Native Americans.

The full name of the site was San Antonio de Valero Mission. It was build by the Spanish in the 1700's for the education and conversion of local Native Americans.

The former church and fortress are now a museum.

Many people mistakingly believe that the church is the entire site called the Alamo. The mission originally included a fortified wall and a complex of surrounding buildings.

The 1836 Battle of the Alamo was one of the pivotal battles between the forces of the Republic of Texas and Mexico during the Texas Revolution.

The Alamo was the first in a chain of missions established nearby along the San Antonio River. Several of these other missions have been preserved as part of San Antonio Missions National Historical Park.

The comedy movie Viva Max! (which is set in the Alamo) caused controversy when the Daughters of the Republic of Texas tried to prevent any filming of the building for the movie.

The building can be built as a landmark in Sim City 4.

The Alamo Categories


Map of the Area Around
The Alamo


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU