Landmark: United States Logo

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, District of Columbia, 20500

North Portico
Photo: License: 2
Originally referred to as the "Presidential Mansion," or "President's House,", there are several stories as to how the building came to be called "The White House." The name became official during the administration of Theodore Roosevelt.

The White House, designed by Irishman James Hoban, has been the offical residence of every President except George Washington.

After The White House was burned by British forces occupying Washington in 1814, the original designer, James Hoban, supervised the reconstruction and remodeling which was completed in 1817.

The property is owned by the National Park Service and is part of the President's Park.

The original residence is in the center. Two colonnades one on the east and one on the west designed by Jefferson now serve to connect to the East and West Wings, added later.

Stories have been told of several ghosts living in the White House, including Abraham Lincoln, Dolly Madison and Abigail Adams.

The White House Categories


Other The White House Resources

Map of the Area Around
The White House


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU