Landmark: United States Logo

Independence Hall

Between 5th and 6th Street on Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19106

1996_4_IndependenceHall Close Up
Photo: Robert J. Moran License: 0
Originally the home of the Pennsylvania Assembly and Supreme Court during the Colonial Era, the building was called the Pennsylvania State House. The Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution were adopted and signed here.

Completed in 1753, the building was the Pennsylvania State House, the home of the courts and legislature for the Province of Pennsylvania.

The Second Continental Congress met in the Assembly Chamber of the building during the American Revolution.

The Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and United States Constitution were all signed at Independence Hall.

The building is now part of the larger Independence National Historical Park and listed as a World Heritage Site.

Independence Hall Categories


Other Independence Hall Resources

Map of the Area Around
Independence Hall


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU