It is the largest military hospital in the Asian and Pacific Rim region and serves a military sphere of jurisdiction that spans over 52% of the earth's surface.
In 1920 it was named after a legendary American Civil War medic, Brigadier General Charles Stuart Tripler, who made significant contributions to the development of military medicine.
Plans for the current center on Moanalua Ridge were drawn in 1942 and construction was completed in 1948. It was officially dedicated on September 10, 1948.
the signature coral pink color of Tripler Army Medical center was copied from the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikiki.
The United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations has designated the Center of Excellence as a Peace Operations Institute, the only United Nations designated Peace Operations Institute currently in the United States.