Elfreth's Alley is the oldest continuously inhabited residential street in the country, dating back to the early 1700's.
It was named for Jeremiah Elfreth, a blacksmith and property owner in the 18th Century.
The Georgian and Federal-style houses and cobblestone pavement of the alley were common in Philadelphia during the colonial period.
Unlike many historic sites, the 32 houses are still privately owned and occupied.
The Elfreth's Alley Museum is located in House 126 and is the only building accessible to the public on a regular basis. However, on one day in early June each year, Elfreth's Alley celebrates "Fete Day," a day on which most of the street's private residences are opened to the public.