Delaware State Capitol
Dover, Kent County, Delaware, 19901
Photo: Joshua Daniel Franklin License: 2
Home of the General Assembly, the Delaware State Capitol is usually referred to as Legislative Hall. It was completed in 1933 and was designed in the colonial style often called Georgian Revival.
Legislative Hall is opposite the Old State House on the mall. The building was designed in the Colonial Revival style by E. William Martin, the architect, under the direction of the State Buildings and Grounds Commission, created by Governor C. Douglass Buck in 1931 during the Great Depression. The structure was completed and dedicated in 1933. From 1965 to 1970, north and south wings were added on the sides of the building, giving each member of the Assembly an office in addition to a desk in one of the legislative chambers. The architect George Fletcher Bennet of Dover designed the expansion.
Two more wings, providing more office space for legislators and staff as well as hearing and caucus rooms, were added to the east side of the building in 1994.
Delaware State Capitol Categories
In addition to the chambers of the Delaware House of Representatives and Senate, the Legislative Hall also includes offices for the governor and lieutenant governor while the General Assembly is in session.
Other Delaware State Capitol Resources