Landmark: United States Logo

Lowry Park Zoo

1101 West Sligh Avenue
Tampa, Hillsborough County, Florida, 33604

Lowry Park Zoo
Photo: TampAGS License: CC BY-SA 3.0
The Lowry Park Zoo opened at its current location in 1957. It was closed in the 1980's for a complete reconstruction and reopened in March of 1988. Seven main exhibit areas cover over 56 acres of lush, natural habitats.

Lowry Park was Tampa's first zoo. Busch Gardens, the theme park which also has a large zoo, did not open until 1959.

The seven exhibit areas in the zoo are: Asian Domain, Primate World, Manatee and Aquatic Center, Florida Wildlife Center, Free-Flight Aviary, Wallaroo Station children's zoo, and the new Safari Africa.

The zoo was established in the late 1930's on the banks of the Hillsborough River in Plant Park. It consisted of a small collection of indigenous animals such as raccoons, alligators and an aviary with a variety of exotic birds.

Lowry Park Zoo Categories


Other Lowry Park Zoo Resources

Map of the Area Around
Lowry Park Zoo


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU