Landmark: United States Logo

Merchants' Exchange Building

143 South Third Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19106

Merchants Exchange Building
Photo: Justine Adams Lee License: CC BY-SA 3.0
Upon its completion in 1834, the building became the financial center for Philadelphia, housing commercial houses, marine insurance companies, the Philadelphia Board of Trade, and the Philadelphia Stock Exchange.

The building was designed by William Strickland and is an exquisite expression of the Greek Revival style.

The Choragic Monument of Lysicrates was the model for the building's lantern.

In 1952, the National Park Service bought the structure and maintains offices here to this day.

Located on the Dock Street side of the building, the United States Post Office occupied a large room and was the first in the country to sell stamps.

Merchants' Exchange Building Categories


Other Merchants' Exchange Building Resources

Map of the Area Around
Merchants' Exchange Building


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU