The station was designed by Nathaniel J. Bradlee, a well-known Boston architect.
The station was build in 1874.
The interior of the building contained separate man's and ladies' waiting rooms, a ticket office, baggage room and restrooms. Two curving mahogany staircases led to the second level, which housed offices.
An E. Howard, eight day clock was installed in the face of the building.