Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church
410 Martin Luther King, Jr. Street
Selma, Dallas County, Alabama, 36703
Photo: License: 2
This church was a starting point for the Selma to Montgomery marches in 1965 and played a major role in the events that led to the adoption of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
Stylistically it is basically Romanesque Revival, built in the shape of a Greek cross with Byzantine influences. Its facade has its entries recessed behind an arcade of three rounded arches, and is flanked by a pair of square towers topped by octagonal lanterns and cupolas. The only major exterior alteration is a functional addition to the rear, housing kitchen and other facilities.
The church was built in 1908 to a design by A. J. Farley. Its congregation arose out of a combined African-American and white congregation of Methodists which separated by race in 1866. Its first sanctuary was built on this site in 1869.
Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church Categories
Other Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church Resources