near the Robinson House
Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware, 19703
The Block House was originally designed for defense against local Indians. It was constructed in 1654 by John Risingh, Governor of the Colony of New Sweden and is the only house remaining of original settlement on Naaman's Creek.
During September 1655, the Block House was taken by the Dutch West India Company under Peter Stuyvesant at the same time Dutch forces captured Fort Christina. In 1671, the Block House was attacked by Indians. It was captured by the British in 1777 during the American Revolutionary War.
Block House Categories