Landmark: United States Logo

Point Montara Light

16th Street A, Southern approach to San Francisco Bay
Moss Beach, San Mateo County, California, 94038

Point Montara Light
Photo: Frank Schulenburg License: CC BY-SA 3.0
Established in February 1875, the current tower was first erected in 1881 in Massachusetts as the Mayo Beach Lighthouse. It was moved and rebuilt as the Point Montara Light station in 1928.

In 1925, before being sent to its current location, the cast iron tower was moved to Yerba Buena.

The lighthouse originally had a kerosene lantern, but was upgraded in 1912 to a fourth order Fresnel lens.

The lighthouse is open to the public, and is the site of a hostel.

The lens was transferred to the San Mateo Historical Society when the lighthouse was automated in 1970, and is currently on display at the library at the College of Notre Dame in Belmont, California.

Point Montara Light Categories


Other Point Montara Light Resources

Map of the Area Around
Point Montara Light


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU