The Witch House
310 Essex St
Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts, 01970
The Witch House was the home of Judge Jonathan Corwin and is the only structure still standing in Salem, Massachusetts with direct ties to the Salem witch trials of 1692.
The house is an excellent example of 17th-century architecture. To this day historians have not come to a conclusion as to when it was built. Jonathan Corwin's descendants claim the house was built in 1642. Some Victorian scholars alleged that the house was built between 1620 - 1630, and that Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island resided in the house in the 1630s. However most historians now believe the house was built in the 1660s or 1670s.
Despite rumors to the contrary, no interrogations or trials were ever conducted in the Witch House. There are no documents in which an accused is demanded to be brought to Judge Corwin's home, nor is it likely the judge would have used his own home as a place to conduct legal proceedings of this nature. Interrogations were done at either the Old Meetinghouse or Ingersall's Tavern.
The Witch House Categories
Other The Witch House Resources