Landmark: United States Logo

The Henry Ford

W Village Rd
Dearborn, Wayne County, Michigan, 48124

The Henry Ford Museum
Photo: Shwalamazula License: CC BY-SA 3.0
The Henry Ford (also known as the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, and more formally as the Edison Institute) is a large indoor and outdoor history museum complex, named for its founder, the noted automobile industrialist Henry Ford.
Ford had a desire to preserve items of historical significance and portray the Industrial Revolution, the property houses a vast array of famous homes, machinery, exhibits, and Americana. The collection contains many rare exhibits including John F. Kennedy's presidential limousine, Abraham Lincoln's chair from Ford's Theatre, Thomas Edison's laboratory, the Wright Brothers' bicycle shop, and the Rosa Parks bus.

The Edison Institute was dedicated by President Herbert Hoover to Ford's longtime friend Thomas Edison on October 21, 1929 the 50th anniversary of the first successful incandescent light bulb.

The Edison Institute was originally composed of the Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, and the Greenfield Village Schools (an experimental learning facility). Initially, Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum were owned by the Ford Motor Company which cooperates with the Henry Ford to provide the Ford Rouge Factory Tour and is a sponsor of the school. The Henry Ford is sited between the Ford Dearborn test track and several Ford engineering buildings with which it shares the same style gates and brick fences.

The Henry Ford Categories


Other The Henry Ford Resources

Map of the Area Around
The Henry Ford


Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU