Mackinac Island State Park
7029 Huron Rd
Mackinac Island, Michigan, 49757
Mackinac Island State Park was first established as Mackinac National Park in 1875, which was the second national park established in the United States after Yellowstone National Park. In 1895, it was transferred to state control and was the first state p
The island park encompasses 2.81 mi2 (7.28 km2), which is approximately 74% of the island's total area of 3.78 miČ (9.78 km2). The park is also within the boundaries of the city of Mackinac Island and has permanent residents within its boundaries. M-185 circles the perimeter of the park as the only motorless highway in the state due to the island's ban of automobiles.
Mackinac Island played an important role in the War of 1812 between the United States and Canada (then a British colony). Fort Mackinac, upon the island, was built by the British army during the Revolutionary War. The British later relinquished the fort to the Americans in 1796, but then built and maintained a similar fort on nearby St. Joseph Island.
Mackinac Island State Park Categories
Other Mackinac Island State Park Resources