2244 Beach Blvd
Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi, 39531
The Beauvoir estate is notable as the historic post-war home (1876-1889) of the former President of the Confederate States of America, Jefferson Davis. The name "Beauvoir" means "beautiful to view".
The compound consists of a Louisiana raised cottage-style plantation residence, a botanical garden, a former Confederate veterans home, a modern gift shop, a Confederate Soldier Museum, the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library and Museum, various outbuildings, and a historic Confederate cemetery, which includes the Tomb of the Unknown Confederate Soldier.
The main house and library were badly damaged, and other outbuildings were destroyed, during Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005. Beauvoir survived a similar onslaught from Hurricane Camille in 1969. The house was restored and has been re-opened.
Five of seven of the buildings were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina, and replicas are being planned. The new Jefferson Davis Presidential Library and Museum opened in June 2013. Many artifacts were recovered and were restored or repaired.
In addition to the Presidential Library, the historic kitchen, located behind the Beauvoir mansion, was reconstructed.
In 1953, the main house at Beauvoir was adapted as a house museum. In 1998, a Presidential Library (similar in style to the other United States Presidential Libraries) was completed and opened on site.
Other Beauvoir Resources