Sylvanus Wade House
Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive
Greenbush, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, 53026
The Sylvanus Wade House is a former stagecoach inn that provided lodging and meals to travelers in the early statehood era in Wisconsin. The three-story wooden Greek Revival house was built between 1848 and 1851.
Sylvanus Wade began advertising his "halfway" house in 1849. It became a popular stopover for travelers, but when the railroad established a station to the north, the house's full time use as an inn was discontinued.
The family continued to host personal guests at the house in the following decades, and hosted events such as business meetings, socials, wedding anniversaries, and showers. By 1917 the house was being referred to as the historic old "Wade House". Frequent mention of the house in the society columns in the Sheboygan press throughout the 1940s indicates that it continued to be a popular destination.
The historic building was deeded to the State Historical Society of Wisconsin (now Wisconsin Historical Society) in 1953.
Sylvanus Wade House Categories
Other Sylvanus Wade House Resources