4145 E 21st Street
Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma
The Golden Driller is a 75-foot-tall (23 m), 43,500-pound (19,700 kg) statue of an oil worker. It is the fourth-tallest statue in the United States.
The Golden Driller statue was originally built in 1952 by the Mid-Continent Supply Company of Fort Worth for the International Petroleum Exposition. The company donated the statue to the Tulsa County Fairgrounds and permanently installed it in front of the Tulsa Expo Center in 1966.
The statue's right hand rests on an oil derrick which had been moved from a depleted oil field in Seminole, Oklahoma.
An inscription at the base of the statue reads: "The Golden Driller, a symbol of the International Petroleum Exposition. Dedicated to the men of the petroleum industry who by their vision and daring have created from God's abundance a better life for mankind."
In 1979, the Golden Driller was adopted by the Oklahoma Legislature as the state monument.
Golden Driller Categories
Other Golden Driller Resources