Salt Lake Temple
50 N West Temple St
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, 84150
The Salt Lake Temple is a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). At 253,015 square feet (23,505.9 m2), it is the largest LDS temple by floor area.
Dedicated in 1893, it is the sixth temple completed by the church, requiring 40 years to complete, and the fourth temple built since the Mormon exodus from Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1846.
Because the Temple is used for meetings of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, there are special meeting rooms in the building for these purposes, including the Holy of Holies, which are not present in other temples.
The temple also includes some elements thought to evoke Solomon's Temple at Jerusalem. It is oriented towards Jerusalem and the large basin used as a baptismal font is mounted on the backs of twelve oxen, as was the Molten Sea in Solomon's Temple.
The location for the temple was first marked by Mormon prophet Brigham Young, the second president of the church, on July 28, 1847. The temple site was dedicated on February 14, 1853. Groundbreaking ceremonies were presided over by Young, who laid the cornerstone on April 6 of that year.
The capstone - the granite sphere that holds the statue of the Angel Moroni - was laid on April 6, 1892, by means of an electric motor and switch operated by Wilford Woodruff, the church's fourth president, thus completing work on the temple's exterior.
Salt Lake Temple Categories
The Utah Temple is considered sacred by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is the location of the weekly meetings of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
Other Salt Lake Temple Resources