Sorlie Memorial Bridge
Grand Forks, North Dakota
The Sorlie Memorial Bridge, also known as the Red River Bridge was built in 1929 by the Minneapolis Bridge Company to connect the cities of Grand Forks, North Dakota and East Grand Forks, Minnesota.
The Sorlie Memorial Bridge replaced a swing bridge on the same site that was constructed in 1889. It is a Parker through truss bridge with two truss spans and rides on rails to accommodate the ever-changing banks of the Red River of the North.
The Sorlie Memorial Bridge was named for North Dakota's 14th governor, Arthur G. Sorlie.
At the time, the bridge was the only vehicular crossing in the area, and was important for carrying U.S. Route 2, a transcontinental route. It is the oldest documented Parker truss design in the state, and its two spans of 283 feet (86 m) are the longest riveted Parker through trusses in the state.
Sorlie Memorial Bridge Categories
Other Sorlie Memorial Bridge Resources