Black Hills Central Railroad
222 Railroad Avenue
Hill City, South Dakota, 57745
The Black Hills Central Railroad is a heritage railroad that operates in South Dakota. It currently operates the 1880 Train on the former Keystone Branch of the Burlington Northern Railroad (BN) between Hill City and Keystone.
This railroad line was originally built by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad as a mining railroad for gold in the Black Hills. It reached Keystone on January 20, 1900 and was later used to haul equipment for carving nearby Mount Rushmore.
In 1957, William Heckman and Robert Freer started the Black Hills Central Railroad which began operating a tourist passenger excursion train service on this line.
Black Hills Central Railroad Categories