32 Catherine Street
Albany, New York, 12202
Schuyler Mansion is now a museum and an official National Historic Landmark. It was constructed from 1761 to 1765 for Philip Schuyler, later a general in the Continental Army and early U.S. Senator, who resided there from 1763 until his death in 1804.
Revolutionary War General Philip Schuyler began construction on his Georgian-style estate near Albany, New York in 1761. The mansion was built on eighty acres (32 ha) of land, located approximately one-half mile (0.80 km) from the city.
At the time that the Schuylers moved into their new home, Philip and his wife, Catherine Van Rensselaer Schuyler, already had three daughters: Angelica, Elizabeth, and Margarita. During Philip and Catherine's lifetime, Catherine gave birth to fifteen children. However, only eight survived infancy.
During the Schuyler family's occupancy of the mansion, the house served as a center of military, business, and family affairs, including the wedding of Philip and Catherine's second daughter, Elizabeth, to famed Federalist, Alexander Hamilton.
the Schuyler family was well known for their hospitality, and the mansion hosted guests such as George and Martha Washington, Benjamin Franklin, the Marquis de Chastellux, James Madison, and the British General during the Battle of Saratoga, John Burgoyne, who stayed at the mansion as a "prisoner guest" in 1777.
Schuyler Mansion Categories
Other Schuyler Mansion Resources