Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts
Plimoth Plantation, founded in 1947, is a living history museum in Plymouth, Massachusetts, that exhibits the original settlement of the Plymouth Colony established in the 17th century by English colonists, some of whom later became known as Pilgrims.
The re-creations are based upon a wide variety of first-hand and second-hand records, accounts, articles, and period paintings and artifacts, and the museum conducts ongoing research and scholarship, including historical archaeological excavation and curation locally and abroad.
In the 1624 English Village section of the museum, "first-person" interpreters have been trained to speak, act, and dress appropriately for the period, whereas "third-person" or "modern" interpreters have been trained to answer inquiries guests may have that those in character are unable to answer while in their respective roles.
The Museum has grown to include Mayflower II (1957), the English Village (1959), the Wampanoag Homesite (1973), the Hornblower Visitor Center (1987), the Craft Center (1992), the Maxwell and Nye Barns (1994), and the Plimoth Grist Mill (2013).
Plimoth Plantation Categories
Other Plimoth Plantation Resources