Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
1000 Hall of Fame Avenue
Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, 01105
The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame is an American history museum and hall of fame. It serves as the sport's most complete library, in addition to promoting and preserving the history of basketball.
Dedicated to Canadian physician and inventor of the sport James Naismith, it was opened and inducted its first class in 1959.
As of the induction of the Class of 2016 on September 9, 2016, the Hall has formally inducted 354 individuals.
The Naismith Hall of Fame was established in 1959 by Lee Williams, a former athletic director at Colby College. In the 1960s, the Basketball Hall of Fame struggled to raise enough money for the construction of its first facility. However, during the following half-decade the necessary amount was raised, and the building opened on Feb. 17, 1968, less than one month after the National Basketball Association played its 18th All-Star Game. In 2002, the Basketball Hall of Fame moved again—albeit merely 100 yards south along Springfield's riverfront—into a $47 million facility designed by renowned architects Gwathmey Siegel & Associates.
In contrast to the Pro Football and the National Baseball Halls of Fame, Springfield honors international and American professionals, as well as American and international amateurs, making it arguably the most comprehensive Hall of Fame among major sports. Since 2011, the induction process employs a total of seven committees to both screen and elect candidates.
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Categories
Other Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Resources