Detroit Institute of Arts
5200 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, 48202
The Detroit Institute of Arts collection is regarded as among the top six museums in the United States with an encyclopedic collection which spans the globe from ancient Egyptian and European works to contemporary art.
The museum building is highly regarded by architects. The original building, designed by Paul Philippe Cret, is flanked by north and south wings with the white marble as the main exterior material for the entire structure. The campus is part of the city's Cultural Center Historic District listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The cornerstone for new Beaux-Arts, Italian Renaissance styled building was laid June 26, 1923 and the finished museum was dedicated October 7, 1927.
The south and north wings were added in 1966 and 1971 respectively. Both were designed by Gunnar Birkerts and were originally faced in black granite to serve as a backdrop for the original white marble building. The south wing was later named in honor of museum benefactors Edsel and Eleanor Ford and the north wing for Jerome Cavanaugh who was Detroit Mayor during the expansion.
Detroit Institute of Arts Categories
Other Detroit Institute of Arts Resources