Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest
420 Barrett Street
Dillon, Montana, 59725
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest is the largest of the National Forests in Montana. Covering 3.36 million acres (13,600 km2), the forest is broken into nine separate sections and stretches across eight counties.
President Theodore Roosevelt named the two forests in 1908 and they were merged in 1996. In Roosevelt's original legislation, the Deerlodge National Forest was called the Big Hole Forest Reserve. He created this reserve because the Anaconda Copper Mining Company, based in Butte, Montana, had begun to clearcut the upper Big Hole River watershed. The subsequent erosion, exacerbated by smoke pollution from the Anaconda smelter, was devastating the region. Ranchers and conservationists alike complained to Roosevelt, who made several trips to the area.
Forest Service offices administering the National Forest are in Butte, Dillon (which is the headquarters location), Philipsburg, Deer Lodge, Whitehall, Boulder, Ennis, Sheridan, Wise River, Wisdom, and Lima.
Interstate 15 and Interstate 90, Montana Highway 43 and Montana Highway 278, and the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway all provide access to forest service roads, trailheads and local communities near the forest.
Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest Categories
Other Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest Resources