Magnolia Plantation and Gardens
3550 Ashley River Road
Charleston, Charleston County, South Carolina
Photo: License: Public Domain
Magnolia Plantation and Gardens is a historic house with gardens located on the Ashley River. It is one of the oldest plantations in the South and dates to 1676, when Thomas and Ann Drayton built a house and small formal garden on the site.
Magnolia was originally a rice plantation, with extensive earthworks of dams and dikes built in fields along the river for irrigating land for rice cultivation. African slaves from rice-growing regions created the works.
The plantation house was burned during the Civil War, likely by Union troops. In the aftermath of the Civil War and postwar economic disruption, John Drayton sold all but 390 acres to raise money.
Magnolia Plantation is operated as a house museum and tourist attraction.
Magnolia Plantation and Gardens Categories
Other Magnolia Plantation and Gardens Resources