Old State House
300 W. Markham Street
Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, 72201
The Old State House is the oldest surviving state capitol building west of the Mississippi River. It was the site of the secession convention.
It was also the fourth constitutional convention when delegates agreed to ensure voting rights for freedmen and establish public education.
The building served as a state capitol until the new capitol building was constructed in 1912. For a time it was used as a medical school. Afterwards, it served as an Arkansas war memorial and was used as an office building for federal and state agencies. In 1947 the General Assembly approved acts designating the State House as a museum.
Old State House Categories
Other Old State House Resources