Landmark: United States Logo

Pope House Museum

511 S Wilmington Street
Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina, 27601

Pope House Museum
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Pope House Museum, built in 1901, is a restored home once owned by Dr. M. T. Pope, a prominent African-American citizen of Raleigh, North Carolina. Tours are by appointment only.
Black professionals began to build homes in the area known as the Third Ward, which included the 500 block of South Wilmington Street. In 1901, Pope decided to build his house in this area. Pope’s neighbors included other prominent African Americans, including another doctor and a pharmacist.

After Pope married Delia Haywood Phillips in 1907, the couple added a garage and wired the home for electricity. In the 1920s, the original front porch was removed, and the current sleeping porch constructed on brick piers. In the 1940s, the northern half of the first floor space below the porch was enclosed with brick, as it remains today. They eventually had two children, Evelyn and Ruth.

Although the Pope House remains in the neighborhood, the area around it has dramatically changed. Older homes and businesses were replaced with office buildings, parking lots and newer homes.

Pope House Museum Categories


Other Pope House Museum Resources

Map of the Area Around
Pope House Museum

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU