Original Governor's Mansion
6th Avenue and Ewing Street
Helena, Lewis and Clark County, Montana, 59601
In 1913, the state of Montana acquired a mansion to serve as the official residence for the governor of Montana. The house and carriage house were built originally in 1888 by William Chessman.
Between 1913 and 1959, it was home to nine Montana governors and their families.
Originally known as the William Chessman Mansion and after 1959 as the Governor's Old Mansion, it was built in 1888. It is in Queen Anne style, and was designed by the St. Paul, Minnesota, firm of Hodgson, Stem, & Welter.
It is a three-story building built of pressed brick, terra cotta and stone. The interior has seven fireplaces and 20 rooms.
Original Governor's Mansion Categories
Other Original Governor's Mansion Resources