Alaska Electric Light & Power
Founded in 1893 by Willis Thorpe, AEL&P is one of the only privately held utilities in the state. It originally ran on local hydroelectric dams run by the mining-focused Treadwell Company.
The current plant at Snettisham was completed in 1973.
On July 1, 2014, Avista Corp., based out of Washington, bought out AEL&P's parent Alaska Energy and Resources Company.
Alaska Electric Light & Power Categories