Landmark: United States Logo

The Grove Plantation

Tallahassee, Leon County, Florida

The Grove Plantation
Photo: Ebyabe License: CC BY-SA 4.0
The Grove, known officially as the Call/Collins House at The Grove, is an antebellum plantation house located in Tallahassee, Florida. Territorial Governor Richard Keith Call constructed The Grove circa 1840.
Call deeded the property to his daughter, Ellen Call Long, who owned it until 1903. Long's granddaughter, Reinette Long Hunt, acquired the property and owned it until her death in 1940. Hunt opened The Grove Hotel during this era and developed onsite cottages that served as rental properties. After a brief period under the ownership of John W. Ford and Josephine Agler, future Florida governor LeRoy Collins and his wife, Mary Call Darby Collins, a great-granddaughter of Richard Keith Call, bought The Grove.

The Grove served as the unofficial executive residence while the current Florida Governor's Mansion was under construction, from 1955 to 1957. The Collins family owned The Grove until 1985, when the state of Florida acquired the property for the purpose of creating a state historic house museum.

The property includes a small active family cemetery that predates the current Grove residence and serves as the final resting place for several generations of the Call and Collins families.

In 1985, the State of Florida formally acquired The Grove from the Collins family for the purpose of opening a historic house museum. LeRoy Collins and Mary Call Darby Collins were given life leases on the property.

The Grove Plantation Categories


Map of the Area Around
The Grove Plantation

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU