16 Cony Street
Augusta, Kennebec County, Maine, 04330
Fort Western is a former British colonial outpost at the head of navigation on the Kennebec River at modern Augusta, Maine. It was built in 1754 during the French and Indian War.
Its main building, the only original element of the fort to survive, was restored in 1920 and now depicts its original use as a trading post.
The fort was a log palisade with blockhouses which protected a store and warehouse. It was never directly attacked.
Fort Western Categories
Other Fort Western Resources