84 Franklin Street
Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 21401
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Banneker-Douglass Museum, formerly known as Mt. Moriah African Methodist Episcopal Church, is a historic church at Annapolis, Maryland. It was constructed in 1875 and remodeled in 1896.
It is a 2 1⁄2-story, gable-front brick church executed in the Gothic Revival style.
It served as the meeting hall for the First African Methodist Episcopal Church, originally formed in the 1790s, for nearly 100 years.
The Banneker-Douglass Museum is a museum dedicated to preserving Maryland's African American heritage. The museum is named for Benjamin Banneker and Frederick Douglass.
Other exhibits include black life in Maryland, and African and African American art. Lectures, workshops, performances and educational programs are offered each year.
The facility serves as the state's official repository of African American material culture.
The museum also has a library and archives.
Banneker-Douglass Museum Categories
Other Banneker-Douglass Museum Resources