St. Anne's Church
199 Duke Of Gloucester Street
Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 21401
Photo: License: Public Domain
St. Anne's Episcopal Church is a historic Episcopal church located in Church Circle, Annapolis. The first church in Annapolis, it was founded in 1692 to serve as the parish church for the newly created Middle Neck Parish.
The Establishment Act allowed for the construction of the State House, King William's School, and St. Anne's, though due to the limited work force and insufficient funds, all of the projects were finished much later than expected. Due to the insufficient funds, no progress was made until 1700, when the government invested enough money to begin construction.
The third and final church was built in 1858. It was designed in a Romanesque Revival style and incorporated a portion of the old tower. Most of the church was built in that year, apart from the steeple which was finished in 1866 due to the Civil War. This is St. Anne's current church building.
St. Anne's Church Categories
Other St. Anne's Church Resources