Paca House and Garden
Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Photo: License: Public Domain
The William Paca House (at one time known as Carvel Hall) is an 18th-century Georgian mansion in Annapolis, Maryland. William Paca was a signatory of the Declaration of Independence and a three-term Governor of Maryland.
The house was built between 1763 and 1765 and its architecture was largely designed by Paca himself. The 2-acre (8,100 m2) walled garden, which includes a two-story summer house, has been restored to its original state.
The Paca House is a Georgian five-part house. The brick structure comprises a central 2-1/2 story block on an elevated basement, flanked by symmetrical 1-1/2 story end pavilions, connected to the central structure by 1-1/2 story hyphens. The interior is a center hall plan with two rooms on either side of the hall. Original woodwork remains only in the central hall, stair hall and the west parlor, including the stair's original Chinese Chippendale balustrade.
Paca House and Garden Categories
Other Paca House and Garden Resources