22 Maryland Avenue
Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Chase–Lloyd House is a historic house in Annapolis, Maryland. Built in 1769-1774, it is one of the first brick three-story Georgian mansions to be built in the Thirteen Colonies, and is one of the finest examples of the style.
Its construction was started for Samuel Chase, who would later be a signatory to the Declaration of Independence and Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, but Chase sold the building unfinished to Edward Lloyd IV in 1771. Lloyd completed the house in 1774.
In 1888, the house was bequeathed for use as a home for elderly women by the will of the last living niece, Hester. It continues in this use today.
The three story brick house stands over a tall basement and measures 54 feet (16 m) wide and 43 feet (13 m) deep. The 18 inches (46 cm) thick walls are laid in Flemish bond with belt courses of rubbed brick at the second and third floor lines. The front is accented by a central three-bay wide projecting pavilion. The three-part central door with pediment, entablature, fanlight and sidelights is unusual for pre-Revolutionary times. Above the door a triple window on the second floor is followed by an arched window on the third floor.
The house's plan is of the four room, center hall type, but on a very large scale.
Chase–Lloyd House Categories
Other Chase–Lloyd House Resources