S 27 Street and Capitol Parkway
Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska, 68502
Construction of the gardens began in 1930 under the direction of Ernest M. Bair as a project for unemployed men during the Great Depression.
The land, which had previously been a neighborhood dumpsite for refuse, was donated by the locally-prominent Frey, Faulkner, and Seacrest families.
At the time of its construction, the garden featured numerous rock and stone elements, in keeping with the trend of rock gardens at the time. As such, the garden was simply known as the "Rock Garden."
In 2003 renovation of the garden began and was completed in 2005. The renovation included the addition of two new statues and construction of the Rotary Pavilion attached to the restrooms.
Sunken Gardens Categories
Other Sunken Gardens Resources