Landmark: United States Logo

Mueller Tower

University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska, 68588


Photo: License: 00
The Mueller Tower is a historic 84-foot (26 m) carillon tower on the campus of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska. It was built in 1949, and it is named for alumnus Ralph S. Mueller.
The tower was built with limestone from Indiana thanks to a $90,000 donation (equivalent to $967,000 in 2019) from alumnus Ralph S. Mueller, the founder and president of the Cleveland, Ohio-based Mueller Electric Company. It was designed by George Kuska Jr. when he was still a student at the university, and he later became a professional architect in central California.

The construction of the tower was completed in 1949.

The bell tower was cordoned off in 2006 as the limestone began collapsing, and the university lacked funding to restore it.

The tower does not include a traditional array of bells. Instead the tower has eight speakers which broadcast recordings or live music played. Mueller, whose career was in electronics, liked the electronic broadcast system idea. The music was initially played on a keyboard, but it was later replaced by tape recordings. As late as 1985, a student played the keyboard prior to football games in the octagonal room inside the tower.

Mueller Tower Categories


Other Mueller Tower Resources

Map of the Area Around
Mueller Tower

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU