600 South Carson Street
Carson City, Nevada
Ormsby House is a closed hotel and casino in Carson City, Nevada. Originally opened in 1972, it closed on October 30, 2000, for extensive renovations, and it is still closed.
The re-opening was originally planned for July 4, 2001, but was pushed back many times due to many construction delays, many remodels and management changes.
The original Ormsby House was built in 1860 by Major William Ormsby. The hotel lasted until the early 1900s, when it was purchased by Dominique Laxalt and later demolished.
In 1972, a brand new Ormsby House was built by Dominique's son, former Nevada Governor Paul Laxalt, at the corner of 5th and Carson Streets. In 1975, the Laxalts sold it to Woody Loftin and on his death in 1985, it passed to his son Truett Loftin. The Ormsby House hotel was forced into bankruptcy protection in 1990 and in 1993 the property was foreclosed and shut down. The Ormsby House stayed closed until 1995, when it was reopened by Barry Silverton.
Cashell managed well, and he turned the property around, and in 1999 it was sold to Carson City businessmen Al Fiegehen and Don Lehr, owners of Cubix Computer Corporation. They toyed with the idea of keeping the casino open during renovation, but finally decided to lay off all the employees and perform a complete inside-out renovation, which has now taken over 18 years.
The Ormsby House is the tallest building in downtown Carson City, at a height of 117 feet (36 m).
Ormsby House Categories
Other Ormsby House Resources