Old Barracks Museum
101 Barracks Street
Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, 08608
The Old Barracks Museum is a historic building in Trenton, New Jersey. It is the only remaining colonial barracks in the state and is now used as a history museum.
It is the last of five such barracks authorized by the colonial legislature in 1758 to house soldiers in the French and Indian War. It housed about 300 soldiers at a time.
During the American Revolution, George Washington crossed the Delaware River to catch the Hessian garrison by surprise during the Battle of Trenton on the morning of December 26, 1776. Following the American Revolution, the Trenton Barracks were used as a military hospital specializing in smallpox inoculations.
In 1902, members of the Daughters of the Revolution, under the leadership of Beulah A. Oliphant, bought part of the building to preserve it. The state bought the other part and formed a museum in 1914.
Old Barracks Museum Categories
Other Old Barracks Museum Resources