Columbus Museum of Art
480 E. Broad Street
Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, 43215
The current building was built on the same site from 1929 to 1931, opening on January 22, 1931. The Columbus Museum of Art is an art museum in downtown Columbus, Ohio. Formed in 1878 as the Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts.
The current building was built on the same site from 1929 to 1931, opening on January 22, 1931. Today known as the Elizabeth M. and Richard M. Ross Building, was designed in the Second Renaissance Revival style by Columbus architects Richards, McCarty and Bulford. It has a concrete foundation, walls of limestone and concrete, and a truncated copper hipped roof. The building is horizontal, two stories high, and has a central structure advanced several feet in front of its two wings. The wings feature large limestone friezes, together known as The Frederick W. Schumacher Frieze or Masters of Art. The work, by Robert Ingersoll Aitken, depicts 68 artists from 490 B.C. to 1925 A.D.
The original main entryway consists of three arched portals to the interior. The facade here includes decorative moldings, keystones, bulls-eye medallions, and stone quoins. A frieze hung above the arches, with the name "Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts". A set of sixteen limestone steps leads to the sidewalk, flanked by two Italian-style lamp posts.
Columbus Museum of Art Categories
Other Columbus Museum of Art Resources