Prewitt–Allen Archaeological Museum
School Library, Corban University
Salem, Marion County, Oregon, 97317
The Prewitt-Allen Archeological Museum is a small archaeology museum at Corban University in Salem, Oregon, United States. Founded in the 1950s, the museum is located in the school’s library on the rural campus.
Artifacts and replicas come mainly from the Eastern Mediterranean and include replicas of the Rosetta Stone and the Code of Hammurabi, alongside a collection of ancient oil lamps and an internationally known papyrus palimpsest.
The museum includes a collection of oil lamps that date back as far as the Bronze Age. This collection shows the evolution of the lamp and includes newer versions dating from the Iron Age and Medieval times. Other everyday items held by the museum include hand tools, scrapers, pottery, arrowheads, tear bottles, cups (including a kylix), perfume bottles, coins, and clay tablet writings.
The museum is named after the Robert S. Allen and Frank Prewitt. Both helped found the museum in the 1950s at the college when it was located in El Cerrito, California. Prewitt was a professor of Bible at the college for 50 years. Allen was a postal carrier, amateur archeologist, and an adjunct instructor in archaeology at the college from 1956 to 1969.
Prewitt–Allen Archaeological Museum Categories