Cathedral of Saint Patrick
212 State Street
Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 17101
The Cathedral of Saint Patrick is a cathedral of the Catholic Church in downtown Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It is the mother church of the Diocese of Harrisburg and is the seat of its bishop.
The Rev. Patrick Leary bought property on State Street in 1824, and the cornerstone for the first St. Patrick's church was laid two years later.
The parish was visited by St. John Neumann, who was the bishop of Philadelphia and therefore the parish's bishop, in 1855 and 1857.
The Diocese of Harrisburg was established by Pope Pius IX on March 3, 1868. St. Patrick's was named the pro-cathedral of the new diocese.
Ground was broken for the new church in 1904 and it was completed on March 1, 1907. St. Patrick's Cathedral was designed in the Baroque Revival style with Renaissance Revival influences and capped with a classically influenced dome. The exterior of the building is covered in granite from North Carolina. The interior featured wainscoting covered in oriental marble topped with Connemara marble. The main nave is flanked by granite columns that support a vaulted ceiling. There are forty-four stained glass windows in the nave that were imported from Munich, Germany.
Over the years several shrines were added to the cathedral in memory of the bishops of Harrisburg. A shrine to St. Katherine Drexel is located in the cathedral portico.
Cathedral of Saint Patrick Categories
Other Cathedral of Saint Patrick Resources