Landmark: United States Logo

Providence City Hall

25 Dorrance Street
Providence, Rhode Island, 02903

Providence City Hall
Photo: Kenneth C. Zirkel License: CC BY-SA 4.0
Providence City Hall is the center of the municipal government in Providence, Rhode Island, and is located at the southwest end of Kennedy Plaza.
The building was constructed between 1875 and 1878 and designed by Samuel J. F. Thayer in the Second Empire style. The cornerstone was laid on June 24, 1875. Inaugurated on November 14, 1878, The Providence Journal called the building "Our Municipal Palace."

President Teddy Roosevelt spoke on the City Hall steps on August 23, 1902, and John F. Kennedy spoke on November 7, 1960, just before he was elected president.

In the pre-electricity age, "to keep clocks accurate and uniform, a central control mechanism was installed. It operated in a fashion similar to a grandfather clock, and each morning would be wound up by the janitor. It sent battery powered signals to other clocks in the building. Although the building was wired for electricity shortly after its construction, the clock mechanism remains in place and can be seen in the fifth floor Archives.

City Hall is mentioned three times in H. P. Lovecraft's, "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward."

Providence City Hall Categories


Other Providence City Hall Resources

Map of the Area Around
Providence City Hall

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU