Landmark: United States Logo

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral

1100 Sumter Street
Columbia, South Carolina, 29201

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, Columbia
Photo: DXR (Daniel) License: CC BY-SA 4.0
Trinity Episcopal Cathedral is the first Episcopal and the oldest surviving sanctuary in Columbia, South Carolina. It is a Gothic Revival church that is modeled after York Minster in York, England.
The cornerstone was laid on November 26, 1845, by the rector, Peter Shand. Although the church had a cruciform design, only the nave and the twin towers were constructed. Each tower had eight pinnacles topped with a fleur de lis. The brick structure was plastered with buff stucco. The towers and walls have shouldered buttresses. The nave has a clerestory, which is the only one in a Columbia church. The roof is supported on exposed wooden beams.

Around 1860, the stained-glass windows from Munich were added around 1860. In 1861 and 1862, which were the early years of the Confederacy, the transepts and an apsidal chancel were constructed under the direction of Edward Brickell White.

The churchyard is the burial site for many noted South Carolinians.

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Categories


Other Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Resources

Map of the Area Around
Trinity Episcopal Cathedral

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU