Old Capitol Building
600 Washington Street SE
Olympia, Thurston County, Washington, 98504
The Old Capitol Building is a building in Olympia, Washington. Designed by Willis A. Ritchie, it was built from 1890 to 1892 as the Thurston County Courthouse, and served from 1905 until 1928 as the state capitol.
In 1928, the legislature moved to the current Capitol Building. The Old Capitol is now the office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
The building has survived several disasters, after each of which it has been repaired. A fire in 1928 resulted in the loss of a central tower. After the 1949 Olympia earthquake, the building was evacuated and suffered severe damage to its masonry exterior that had to be repaired over the following few months at a cost of $1.1 million. 10 of the 12 towers were lost in the earthquake, along with a rotunda, the House chamber, and several galleries in the East Wing.
Old Capitol Building Categories
Other Old Capitol Building Resources