Olbrich Botanical Gardens
3330 Atwood Avenue
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, 53704
Photo: License: Public Domain
Olbrich Botanical Gardens is located in Madison, Wisconsin. Named for its founder, Michael Olbrich, the gardens are owned and operated jointly by the City of Madison Parks and the non-profit Olbrich Botanical Society.
The gardens were established in 1952. The gardens consist of 16 acres of outdoor gardens and a 10,000-square-foot conservatory.
The gardens are made up of several separate areas. The Sunken Garden is in the form of a traditional English garden. The Thai Garden contains the sala, which is joined to the gardens by a 155-foot (47 m) arched footbridge crossing Starkweather Creek. A Rock Garden is constructed of a rocky hill, designed to simulate a mountain slope. A Meadow Garden combines perennial grasses, wildflowers, and plants grown from bulbs. The Rose Garden is an ongoing project featuring more than 700 varieties and 125 rose cultivars. The Starkweather Creek and Atrium Shade Gardens features a semicircular atrium and plants such as astilbes, hostas, lungwort, bishops' caps, and ferns. The Eunice Fisher Hosta Garden features hostas hybridized by Wisconsin-native, Eunice Fisher.
The Bolz Conservatory is a 10,000-square-foot greenhouse housing over 750 plants representing over 70 families and over 550 different species and cultivars.
In addition to the tropical plants, the conservatory is home to species of birds including canaries, waxbills, diamond doves, Goldian finches and owl finches. There is also a koi pond, featuring koi and goldfish. Frogs, toads, and geckos are also present.
Olbrich Botanical Gardens Categories
Other Olbrich Botanical Gardens Resources