Fort Smith National Historic Site
301 Parker Avenue
Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas, 72901
Fort Smith National Historic Site is a National Historic Site located in Fort Smith, Arkansas, along the Arkansas River.
The first fort at this site was established by the United States in 1817, before this area was established as part of Indian Territory. It was later replaced and the second fort was operated by the US until 1871.
As often happened, a small town developed around the fort, with people attracted for business. In addition, court operations continued at a courthouse built in town for the United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas, which presided over the western half of Arkansas and all of Indian Territory.
Fort Smith National Historic Site Categories
Other Fort Smith National Historic Site Resources